Patient Services Specialist (bilingual)
The Mission Neighborhood Health Center (MNHC) is a non-profit, multi-site community health organization offering comprehensive health services in the Mission and Excelsior Districts of San Francisco. The center offers primary health care services, adult medicine, pediatrics, family planning, OB/GYN, HIV and homeless services.
We advocate for health equity and deliver innovative, high-quality services responsive to the neighborhoods and diverse communities we serve with a focus on the Latino Spanish-Speaking Communities.
We are currently looking for qualified candidates for our Patient Services Specialist role. Please note: this role requires an applicant to be bilingual (English/Spanish). This position reports to the Patient Services Supervisor and is a Regular, Full Time, Non-Exempt role with a starting hourly rate of $20.82 with full benefits.
As a Patient Services Specialist at Mission Neighborhood Health Center you will be responsible for providing outstanding customer service to our patients and their families. In many ways you are the face of MNHC because you are the first person our patients meet. You will welcome patients and their families to our clinic, help them access our services, educate them about applicable government programs and assist them in applying for these programs.
- Providing exemplary customer service; answering the telephone in a timely and polite manner; treating patients and coworkers with courtesy and discretion. Greeting patients, salespeople, and visitors and directing them to the right department.
- Interviewing new patients to secure demographic information; registering individuals and families as MNHC patients; logging patient information into the computer; and initiating the medical record.
- Verifying the patient’s record and updating as needed to ensure accuracy.
- Acting as a cashier: determining the amount of payment as per protocol, collecting payments, and maintaining appropriate collection documentation.
- Completing applications for health insurance coverage such as CHDP, Family Planning, Cancer Detection Program, Healthy San Francisco or PCP changes for the SFHP accurately. Updating insurance plans as needed.
- Checking insurance eligibility before every appointment using the MNHC eligibility tool; making necessary updates; and contacting patients to inform them of any issues.
- Monitoring and scheduling appointments for MNHC patients over the phone and in person.
- Acts as Call Center operator and handles all in-coming and out-going mail.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be bilingual (Spanish/English)
- H.S. Diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
- Knowledge of computer data entry, information retrieval, and Microsoft word preferred.
- Familiarity with Third-Party Reimbursement programs preferred.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality when dealing with patient records and personal information.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at www.mnhc.org. We offer a full range of benefits which includes the following:
- Medical Insurance – MNHC pays 90-100% based on plan
- Dental and Vision Insurance – free to employee
- Life Insurance – free basic policy plus voluntary option
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health & dependent care expenses
- Commuter benefits for public transportation expenses
- Vacation – 2 weeks (3 weeks after 5 yrs; 4 weeks after 8 yrs)
- 12 Paid Holidays plus your birthday and 12 Sick Days each year
- 40 hours Paid Educational Leave
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Company Contribution
Mission Neighborhood Health Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment for our diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.