Lead Phlebotomist (bilingual)
The Mission Neighborhood Health Center (MNHC) is a non-profit, multi-site community health organization offering comprehensive health services in the Mission and Excelsior Districts of San Francisco. The center offers primary health care services, adult medicine, pediatrics, family planning, OB/GYN, HIV and homeless services.
We advocate for health equity and deliver innovative, high-quality services responsive to the neighborhoods and diverse communities we serve with a focus on the Latino Spanish-Speaking Communities.
We are currently looking for qualified candidates for our Lead Phlebotomist role. This position reports to the Clinic Manager and is a Regular, Full Time, Non-Exempt role with a starting hourly rate range of $24.45 to $27.60 with full benefits.
The Lead Phlebotomist supports the efficient functioning of the Laboratory as it relates to staffing, appointment scheduling, supply inventory, policies and procedures, quality assurance and quality improvement, customer service, and equipment maintenance. She/he will participate in MNHC’s initiative to work in team based care and support Patient Centered Medical Home Designation. The Lead Phlebotomist supports efforts to maintain hours of service that are most responsive to patient needs including early morning access and possibly evening or weekend access as the need arises. As the lead of a department that serves our community the Lead Phlebotomist will play an integral role in the quality of our patient’s experience.
Direct Patient Care (80%)
- Ensures proper preparation of lab procedures and safe collection of specimens, as dictated in Lab Manual or in documented Standing Orders.
- Performs blood collection in a safe and efficient manner for patients.
- Performs routine maintenance and sanitation of storage areas, trays, centrifuges, refrigerators, freezer, and collection areas in the Laboratory in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates current knowledge of test terminology ordered in the laboratory.
- Notifies patients of laboratory results in a timely manner.
- Follows the California Business and Professional Code Section 1246 and the California Code of Regulation 1034.
- Completes all necessary paperwork for adequate specimens and test orders in a timely manner.
Clinical Operations & Leadership (20%)
- Ensures adequate staffing of Laboratory, in collaboration with Supervisor.
- Supervises assigned Phlebotomist(s), including but not limited to recruitment, training and on-boarding, scheduling, performance improvement, and annual evaluation.
- Collaborates with internal and external Laboratory partners (i.e. LabCorp, Quest, DPH).
- Ensures proper and timely check-in of Laboratory patients. Trains other staff in Laboratory check-in procedure.
- Oversee maintenance of Lead Phlebotomist Manual and all Laboratory policies & procedures.
- Reviews monthly Laboratory invoices. Submits review of invoices in a timely manner.
- Conducts routine schedule maintenance of Laboratory schedule.
- Conducts monthly quality assurance review. Identifies areas of improvement, and follows up with clinical leadership as appropriate. Submits timely monthly reports to Quality Management Committee.
- Participates in quality improvement projects, as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Bilingual Spanish/English required.
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician Certificate (CPT-1 preferred). High School Diploma or GED and graduated from an accredited training program.
- Minimum 1-3 years of phlebotomy experience.
- BLS Certification required.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at www.mnhc.org. We offer a full range of benefits which includes the following:
- Medical Insurance – MNHC pays 90-100% based on plan
- Dental and Vision Insurance – free to employee
- Life Insurance – free basic policy plus voluntary option
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health & dependent care expenses
- Commuter benefits for public transportation expenses
- Vacation – 2 weeks (3 weeks after 5 yrs; 4 weeks after 8 yrs)
- 12 Paid Holidays plus your birthday and 12 Sick Days each year
- 40 hours Paid Educational Leave
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Company Contribution
Mission Neighborhood Health Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment for our diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.