Referral Specialist (bilingual)
The Mission Neighborhood Health Center (MNHC) is a non-profit, multi-site community health organization offering comprehensive health services in the Mission and Excelsior Districts of San Francisco. The center offers primary health care services, adult medicine, pediatrics, family planning, OB/GYN, HIV and homeless services.
We advocate for health equity and deliver innovative, high-quality services responsive to the neighborhoods and diverse communities we serve with a focus on the Latino Spanish-Speaking Communities.
We are currently looking for qualified candidates for our Referral Specialist role. Please note: this role requires an applicant to be bilingual (English/Spanish). This position reports to the Referral Supervisor and is a Regular, Full Time, Non-Exempt role with a starting hourly rate range of $19.00 to $22.18 with full benefits.
The Patient Referral Specialist is responsible for medical referrals to outside hospitals/agencies and follow-up. Duties include but are not limited to referral submission, coordination, processing and scheduling of clinic patients, as requested by clinic providers.
- Creates and submits referrals electronically, through fax, and over the phone to external hospitals (e.g. San Francisco General Hospital) and clinics.
- Follows up on electronic and fax referrals sent by providers and through the referrals office.
- Creates and submits urgent referrals and follow-up as requested by providers.
- Reviews referral requests for accuracy and complete information. Communicates with provider or nursing staff to obtain appropriate information as necessary to support timely progression of referrals.
- Informs patients of scheduled appointment time and date, location of clinic and any special precautions as advised by the provider and/or specialist.
- Reschedules referrals if needed and reports back to the providers for follow through.
- Accurately documents referrals information in the i2i Tracks log and maintains documentation of follow-up.
- Ensures timely receipt of reports through follow-up with referral sources and specialists.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required
- H.S. Diploma or equivalent
- Excellent customer service skills required
- Ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at www.mnhc.org. We offer a full range of benefits which includes the following:
- Medical Insurance – MNHC pays 90-100% based on plan
- Dental and Vision Insurance – free to employee
- Life Insurance – free basic policy plus voluntary option
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health & dependent care expenses
- Commuter benefits for public transportation expenses
- Vacation – 2 weeks (3 weeks after 5 yrs; 4 weeks after 8 yrs)
- 12 Paid Holidays plus your birthday and 12 Sick Days each year
- 40 hours Paid Educational Leave
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Company Contribution
Mission Neighborhood Health Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment for our diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.